Erythromycin is used for treating infections caused by certain bacteria. It is also used to prevent bacterial endocarditis and attacks of rheumatic fever. Erythromycin is a macrolide antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of, or sometimes killing, sensitive bacteria by reducing the production of important proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Erythromycin is prescribed for the treatment of diseases associated with bacterial pathogens:
- prevention and treatment of diphtheria and whooping cough;
- legionnaires’ disease;
- amoebic dysentery;
- infected wounds, burns;
- primary syphilis;
- pneumonia and conjunctivitis in children;
- urogenital infections;
- bronchitis, tracheitis;
- preoperative preparation of the intestine, in order to avoid possible complications.
Mode of application and dosage Erythromycin.
Inside, 1-1. 5 h before meals or after 2 hours after. For adults 0.25-0.5 g 4-6 times a day, depending on the state of health and the cause of the disease.
The maximum single dose of 0.5 g, a daily dose of 2 g. Erythromycin should be taken within 2-3 days after the disappearance of symptoms.
The dosage of the drug is largely determined by the age of the patient:
- children 1-3 years-100 mg 4 times a day;
- children 3-6 years-125 mg 4 times a day;
- children 6-8 years-150-175 mg 4 times a day;
- children 8-12 years-175-250 mg 4 times a day;
- adults-250-500 mg 4 times a day.
The dosage can be adjusted at the discretion of the physician, in case of serious diseases, the dose may be increased to 4 g per day.
- Prohibited co-administration with terfenadine and astemizole (leads to arrhythmia of the heart with the risk of its complete cessation);
- During pregnancy and lactation drug is prohibited. Due to the high penetration of the antibiotic, it easily penetrates the placenta and reaches the fetus. Doses of the drug, optimal for the mother’s body, detrimental effect on the child, because his body is not able to effectively neutralize the antibiotic;
- Individual intolerance.
In breast milk the drug will penetrate easily, so assign it, as a rule, only in the case of special risk to the mother’s life and subject to the interruption of breastfeeding. The timing of an interruption must be agreed with the doctor.
Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Deterioration of the functions of these organs leads to an increase in the period of withdrawal of the drug from the body.
The combination of alcohol and drugs, which increases the load on the liver: it is not recommended to use antihistamines and anticoagulants.
Hormonal contraceptives, due to a sharp decrease in their effectiveness.
Overdose Of Erythromycin.
Enteric-tablecellelement use eritromicina can affect the liver, until the liver failure. In some cases, hearing decreases.
To avoid consequences, it is necessary to periodically conduct a clinical blood test, ECG.
Side effects of Erythromycin.
- hearing loss (reversibly, hearing returns after taking the drug);
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dysbacteriosis, liver impairment (jaundice), pancreatitis, tenezmy, candidiasis;
- bitterness in the mouth for 2-3 days of use (antibiotic penetrates into all tissues, including the salivary glands);
- tachycardia (rare);
- urticaria, rash;
- eosinophilia, agranulocytosis;
- dizziness, nightmares;
- formation of resistance of microorganisms to this antibiotic.
Reviews about Erythromycin.
Pill erythromycin 250 mg, 10 pieces is very Good for sore throats. Reliable and inexpensive antibiotic. However, try to make it once a year, because I do not want to harm the body. Angina I have about the same frequency.
Drank cold lemonade, felt the pain in his throat. After 2 days of rinsing with sage, the temperature rose and there was purulent discharge. Has found two wrapping erythromycin on 250 mg, discomfort has passed already on next day, and then slept and temperatures. Completely cured only after 4 days, although it was necessary to take at least 5 days.