Abilify is used for treating agitation caused by schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, depression . Abilify is an atypical antipsychotic. It affects certain substances in the brain.
- The treatment of schizophrenia.
- Treatment of manic episodes in bipolar disorder type I moderate and severe and prevention of a new manic episode in adults who experience mostly manic episodes that respond to treatment with Abilify.
- Addition to treatment with drugs lithium or valproic acid for the treatment of manic or mixed episodes within bipolar disorder type I in the presence of psychotic symptoms or without them and maintenance therapy to prevent relapse in patients with bipolar disorder type I.
- Addition to antidepressant therapy in major depressive disorder.
- Hypersensitivity to Abilify or any other component, which is part of the drug.
- The age of 18.
- The period of breastfeeding.
Use Abilify with caution.
In patients with cardiovascular diseases (ischemic heart disease or myocardial infarction, with heart failure and conduction disorders), cerebrovascular diseases and conditions predisposing to hypotension (dehydration, hypovolemia and receiving antihypertensive drugs) in connection with the possibility of orthostatic hypotension in patients with seizures or with disorders in which convulsions; in patients with an increased risk of hyperthermia, for example, during intense physical exertion, overheating, reception of m-holinoblokatorov, dehydration (due to the ability of neuroleptics disrupt thermoregulation); in patients with increased risk of aspiration pneumonia because of the risk of violation of motor function of the esophagus and aspiration; in patients with obesity and the presence of diabetes in family history; patients with a high risk of suicide (psychotic illness, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder); in persons aged 18-24 years in connection with the risk of suicidal behavior.
If You have one of these diseases, before taking this medication be sure to consult with your doctor.
Usage instructions and dosing Abilify.
Tablets Abilify dissolve in the mouth designed for oral administration. Aripiprazole put on the tongue where it dissolves quickly in saliva. It can be taken with liquid, and without it. Since the orodispersible tablet in the mouth is fragile, it must be taken immediately after opening the blister. Alternatively, the tablet is dissolved in water and drink the resulting suspension.
The recommended initial dose of 10-15 mg once a day, regardless of meals. Efficacy has been confirmed in the dose range of 10 to 30 mg/day. However, higher doses over 15 mg/day does not increase efficacy of the drug. Increase the dose exercise no earlier than 2 weeks. The usual maintenance dose is 15 mg per day. Regularly examine patients to determine need to continue therapy.
Described accidental and deliberate overdose with Abilify once to 1260 mg, accompanied not fatal.
Overdose symptoms Abilify.
- increase in blood pressure,
- loss of consciousness,
- depression of consciousness,
- the decrease in blood pressure,
- aspiration pneumonia,
- stop breathing,
- status epilepticus and tachycardia.
Described cases of overdose of Aripiprazole in children (reception to 195 mg). Potentially dangerous overdose symptoms include extrapyramidal disorders and transient loss of consciousness.